Clients for Windows
- Most of our customers will be using Pidgin IM client for instant messaging. If you currently use Thunderbird Mail Client for email, it may be preferable to use the chat program built in. Both Thunderbird and Pidgin are free and have plugins available to increase functionality. Keep in mind there are several other free multi protocol clients for Windows but we cannot guarentee they will work with Kerio.
- In the provided link, download Pidgin. Once downloaded, double click to install.
- Follow the installer’s prompts, keep all of the default options. Once the install has completed, open the program.
- On first launch, choose the Add button on the Accounts window. If you already had Pidgin Installed, navigate to Accounts>Manage to add a new account.
- Choose XMPP as the protocol.
- Input the part of your email address before the @ sign in the Username section. The part of your email address after the @ sign goes in the Domain section. Using the made up email address email@example.com, charles will go into the Username section and example.com will go in the Domain slot.
- Input the same password you use for email in the Password slot and choose the Remember password checkbox.
- Choose the Advanced tab on the top and in the Connection security drop down, choose the Use old-style SSL option. In the Connect Port slot, input 5223. Choose the Add option when finished.
- Launch Thunderbird and press the Alt key on your keyboard.
- On the top bar, choose Tools>Account Settings. In the Account Settings window, choose Account actions on the bottom left and choose the Add Chat Account option.
- In the Chat Account Wizard window, choose the XMPP option and then choose Next.
- In the Username slot, type in your full email address and choose the Next option.
- Input your password into the Password slot and choose Next.
- Choose the XMPP Options item and change the port to 5223.
- Choose the Finish option and press OK in the Account Settings window.
- When the program is launched, start the chat section by Chat on the top toolbar. Notice how it opens a new tab on the top titled Chat. You can switch back and forth with other tabs like Calendar or Inbox easily to help multitasking.
Clients for Mac
- While lacking many advanced features, the Apple Messages program is the best choice for many users. People familiar with Pidgin for Windows or wishing to have more customization may prefer Adium. Either will work.
Apple Messages Configuration
- Open Finder and choose Applications on the left. In that list, choose Messages.
- If prompted for iMessage on first launch, choose Not Now and then Skip.
- In the Choose a Messages account provider… popup that typically comes up on first launch, choose Other Messages Account… and choose Continue. If you do not see this popup, choose Messages on the top bar and then Preferences. Choose the Accounts tab on the top of the preferences window and choose the + button on the bottom left.
- From the drop down list titled Account Type, choose Jabber.
- In the User Name: slot, input your full email address. Below that type in your password.
- Uncheck automatically find server and port and input into the server slot the part of your email address after the @ sign. The port will be 5223 and make sure to leave Use SSL checked.
- In the provided link, download Adium. Once downloaded, double click to install.
- Wait for the installer to process and in the disk image window, drag the Adium icon to the Applications folder. Once it has finished copying, double click on its icon to launch.
- On first launch, choose the Open option. The next windows may ask to have access to contacts. This may help the user experience so it would be a preference to choose either OK or Don’t Allow.
- Choose Continue in the Adium Setup Assistant Window. If you already have services configured with Adium on your computer, choose the Adium option on the top bar and then choose Preferences. In that preferences window choose the + in the bottom left corner. In the Service dropdown, choose XMPP (Jabber). In the Jabber ID: slot, input your full email address. Input your password into the box below and press Continue.
- If presented with no further options and your new account is added, choose the Adium option on the top bar and then choose Preferences. With your new account selected, choose the Edit option in the bottom right corner. Choose the Options tab and change the port to 5223 and choose the Require SSL/TLS and Force old-style SSL checkboxes. Press the OK on the bottom right to close.
Clients for Android
- Most of our customers will be using Xabber for instant messaging. Keep in mind there are several other free multi protocol clients for Windows but we cannot guarentee they will work with Kerio. Follow the link to install the app.
- On first launch, choose the Add Account button in the middle of the screen.
- XMPP should automatically be selected as the account type. Input your full email address into the Username slot and input your password into the slot below. When finished, choose the Add Account option on the top right.
- The settings menu should appear, about 75% down the page, choose the TLS/SSL usage option and choose the Require TLS option.
- When the program is launched, it will open a contact list of all online Colleagues.
- To start an IM with someone, double click on their name and start typing in the Window that opens.
- To chat with someone else, double click on their name and notice a new tab will appear in the previous chat window with the next person selected. To go back to chat with the previous person, just select the tab with their name on it.