To configure your Actiontec DSL modem for wireless internet access, follow these instructions:
1. Open a web browser (Chrome, FireFox, Safari, etc.)
2. Type 192.168.0.1 (www is not required) in the address field
3. Press Enter and the Actiontec modem configuration page will appear
4. Click ‘Setup / Configuration’
5. Select ‘Advanced Setup’ in the left column
6. Select ‘Begin Advanced Setup’
7. Select ‘Wireless Settings’ in the left column
8. Make sure ‘Wireless’ setting is set to ‘On’.**
9. Select Save and Restart in the left column
After your DSL modem finishes rebooting, the ‘Wireless’ light should be solid green. Once the wireless light is solid green your Actiontec DSL modem is a “base station” and ready for wireless internet access.
There is no ONE way to properly configure your computer for wireless access due to different operating systems and many different types of wireless cards.*
However, most of the time your computer will automatically detect the wireless connection as long as you have a wireless card properly installed in your computer.
*Due to these factors, we do not support the wireless card set up for your computer. However contact an E Street consultant to go over and implement options.
** NOTE ON SECURITY! IMPORTANT There are several options in setting wireless protocols and enhanced wireless security features. Many folks don’t know that by default wireless networks are “open” meaning anyone who receives the signal is given a “node” within your Local Network. This is less than optimal for security reasons. When you first set your network up – you may wish to set it with lower restrictions to make sure it works ….but then you should lock it down. We recommend ALWAYS set encryption (we recommend some version of “WPA” security) and close your network. Other tips are to not broadcast the SSID so the network is not seen, also set MAC addresses to only allow certain pieces of hardware to access the node.
Actiontec’s DSL modems and wireless routers support the latest in wireless security up to latest 802.11x technologies. They offer:
- Enterprise-level Security
- Fully Customizable Firewall
- Parental Controls
- Stateful Packet Inspection
- DDoS (Denial of Service) Protection
- Content Filtering
- Intrusion Detection
E Street Managed IT consultants can help you implement these strategies for your networks.